Install the template¶
The installation of embedXcode is now performed by the Install embedXcode utility, as the PackageMaker utility previsouly used to generate the installation package no longer works on macOS 10.14 Mojave.
Download the embedXcode package directly from the download page .
For the systems running Xcode 11 on macOS 10.14 Mojave or 10.15 Catalina,
- Select the main option.
Safari prompts a warning dialogue box.
- Click on Allow to proceed with the download.
For legacy systems running Xcode 10 on macOS 10.13 High Sierra or 10.14 Mojave,
- Please select the embedXcode Legacy 10 option. It corresponds to embedXcode release 10.9.9.
embedXcode Legacy 10 is no longer developed and has limited support.
This section requires the embedXcode+ edition.
For legacy systems running Xcode 9 on macOS 10.12 Sierra or 10.13 High Sierra,
- Please select the embedXcode Legacy 9 option. It corresponds to embedXcode release 9.6.8.
embedXcode Legacy 9 is deprecated and no longer supported.
For a complete list of the macOS and Xcode versions corresponding to the previous releases of embedXcode,
- Please refer to the section Check macOS and Xcode .
For more information on legacy versions,
- Please refer to the section Check the obsolescence notice .
- Double-click on the embedXcode.zip or embedXcode-Plus.zip zip file to unzip the file.
- Open the resulting folder.
- Double-click on the Install embedXcode utility to launch the installation.
The installation starts and displays the licence agreement.
Click on I Agree to proceed.
Otherwise, click on I Decline to end.
The installation checks if embedXcode is already installed. If so, it switches to the update procedure.
If the release already installed is too old, an error message is displayed.
The safest way consists on removing the previous release and proceeding with a fresh installation.
Run the Uninstall embedXcode utility as described at section Uninstall the template .
Launch the Install embedXcode utility again.
If the release already installed is more recent, a warning message is displayed.
No action is needed.
- Click on Cancel.
A dialogue box asks for confirmation.
Click on OK to launch the installation.
Otherwise, click on Cancel to cancel the installation.
Installation starts. No password is asked for as all the files are installed inside the user's home folder.
A Console window provides information about the files being copied.
A dialogue box informs the installation is completed.
Additionnaly, the utility opens the Release Notes page.
Finally, the utility opens the Check Platforms and MCUs page.
Check the platforms and MCUs you plan to use are up to date.
Close the different Terminal and Console windows.
Check the installation process¶
To check the installation process,
Launch the Console application,
~/Library/Logson the left pane.
embedXcode Installation.logunder the Files section.
Set the folder for standard IDEs¶
This section requires the embedXcode+ edition.
This is an optional procedure.
By default, the folder where the standard IDEs are installed and located is the
However, if you've installed all the IDEs on another folder, an option allows to change the folder.
For example, if the IDEs are located on the
- Open the
- Double click on Define paths to IDEs.
A window asks for the folder containing all the standard IDEs.
- Select the folder containing the IDEs and click on Choose.
A notification confirms the new path.
Alternatively, on a project basis,
- Follow the procedure described at the section Change the path for standard IDEs .
Authorise the utilities¶
macOS 10.15 Catalina aggressive protection may deny some utilities from running.
The utilities need to access the
~/Documents folder where the projects are and the
~/Library/embedXcode folder where embedXcode is installed.
To allow the utilities,
- Call the menu > System Preferences.
- Select the Security & Privacy section and the Privacy pane.
- Click on the lock and enter the system password to unlock it.
- Drag and drop the utility into the list of applications.
Uninstall the template¶
There is an automatic procedure to uninstall the template.
- Click on Uninstall embedXcode located on the
A dialogue box opens and asks for confirmation:
- Click on OK to proceed or on Cancel to abort.
As an alternative, the manual procedure requires to delete the following files and folders:
- Delete the folder embedXcode under
This folder contains the utilities and the Release Notes for embedXcode.
- Delete the folder
This folder contains the frameworks, tool-chains, licences, preferences, makefiles and utilities used by embedXcode.
- Delete all the sub-folders related to
embedXcode+under the folders
Those folders contain the templates for the embedXcode files and projects.
Keep the sub-folders which are not related to embedXcode or embedXcode+.
Delete the files under
This folder contains the code snippets for embedXcode.
For the IDEs and optional tools you may have installed,
- Please refer to the respective procedures supplied by their editors